Monday, January 3, 2011

One of many firsts

Today is the day that I get to hold my husband's hand while we both stare, with great excitement, at a black and white monitor and, for once in my life, don't see a barren wasteland staring back at us.  One of the wonderful, white-coat-clad IVF office staff is going to move an ultrasound probe (I hate that word, by the way) across my belly, and then stop to show us the life that we created (ok, so really it was Chuck the lab tech), staring back at us.

This is one of the things that I craved so badly throughout the past decade.  The experience of looking at life on an ultrasound screen, and then glancing over to my husband, and seeing that familiar look of when he sees his children for the first time.  He had it with Andy and Ben, and both times, that event left an image that is forever burned into my soul's memory.

This is stuff you carry with you into the next life.

Anyhow, I have to hop into the shower, get my teeth cleaned (I hope I don't throw up on the dental assistant...I should warn her of the invisible gag threashold near my back molars) and then meet my husband at the doctor's office.  As soon as I have access to the webbernets, I can post the ultrasound picture.

Today is a great day for one of many firsts.

No comments:

Post a Comment